April 04, 2011

Mmmmm, Tasty...

That is what Ryan says while she's eating...anything.  She takes a bite, does a little side to side swaying dance and says "Mmmm, tasty" with her funny little squinty-eyed smile.  It's beyond adorable.  Though it was kinda sad when she did it yesterday.

At about 1:00 in the morning she woke up crying.  We brought her into bed with us.  After a while she was still whining but was still really tired and falling asleep in weird positions on me, so I went to put her back into her crib and she threw up, poor baby.  AJ is the only one that got any sort of decent sleep that night, I'm really amazed he slept through it.  It's always so sad when little ones are sick and don't even know the words to tell you whats wrong.  She has been stuffy nosed and raspy coughing for a few days now but even with all the coughing nothing was coming up.  (I'm trying to be as non-discript as I can here).

Anyway after a few days of coughing like that, it finally made her sick, but at least she got some of it up.  I think she also had a bit of a bug cause for the rest of the night and most of Sunday she was a wimpering, moaning, crying, pitiful mess.  She threw up 4 times, didn't eat anything and even refused juice most of the day.

Late afternoon she finally passed out on mom's bed for about an hour but, when she woke up, had developed a low fever.  She hadn't had anything come up in a while so I gave her some Tylenol and rubbed her down with some Vick's Baby Rub and got her some juice.  None of these things seemed to bother her so I went and got her some puffies and a few saltines.  She grabbed them both without hesitation and as she took her first bite of saltine she did a pathetic little shoulder shrug, bobbed her head to one side and croaked a sad little whisper, "mmm, s'tasty".

I almost cried it was so cute.



On a different note (though something that merits the same title) I harvested Kale and Swiss Chard from the garden on Saturday.  I cut them up and cooked with a little bit of olive oil and garlic until they were dark green and wilted but still had a little crunch to them.  They were both very yummy.  The Chard reminded me a lot of spinach while the Kale was heartier like collards and had a bit of a vinegar flavor, certainly not what I expected.

I also picked out first tomato on Thursday.  It was a little Cherry Tomato, but the first to appear on any of our plants and the first to change color.  We didn't eat it till Friday night since it was still a little orangey colored when I picked it.  After sitting on the window sill and then being chilled in the fridge it was perfect.  I don't like tomatoes but I had already decided that I would try the ones from our garden.  I grew them, I would eat them!

So I cut it and mom and I both had a half.  It still tasted like a tomato which as I just stated I don't enjoy but it was very crisp and slightly sweet.  Just take out the tomato flavor and it was very good.  I think I will eat more but I will try taking the seeds out next time.  I picked the rest of the bunch on Saturday and AJ ate one of them.  He popped the whole thing in his mouth and it was so fresh and crisp that I could hear it crunch when he bit into it.  He said it was yummy.  Jasey and I both love that AJ and Ryan like tomatoes.  We didn't want to be the kind of parents that never let the kids try something just because we didn't like it and what do you know, they both love tomatoes!

We are very close to harvesting a full salad.  The Red Leaf Lettuce continues to grow and some of our iceburg is starting to form a head.  We have quite a few peppers and lots more tomatoes, both are just about to change color.  The cucumber is getting so big, it's crazy.  I also harvested some of our wax beans Sunday with many more to soon follow.  I'm very excited to take pictures of our yummy salad, whenever that may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment