January 05, 2011

Terribly Funny...

After a long day of running around town with mom and the kids, we had hopped back in the car to head home.  I was about to turn left onto I-95 when from the backseat AJ shouts, "Mommy, I saw a kitty cat!"

I match his excitement and respond "Did you really?" 

We were under an overpass in an area that has been under construction for more than a year so I immediately start wondering where he saw this cat and what condition it was in.

Before I have a chance to ask him if the kitty was running across the road or sitting down, he states, "Yeah, I did see a kitty cat.  He was sleeping."

Mom and I freeze and I almost start laughing but keep it together and ask "Was he sleeping curled up like Kirby or stretched out?"

I thought it might take him a second to answer but right away he tells us, "He was stretched out, like this."  AJ stretched forward, reached his arms out in front of him and tilted his head to the side.

I had to laugh even though it was nothing to laugh at.  I never like to see animals in the road but when you get to see something like that through a child's eye it certainly puts a new spin on the situation.

He asked to go back and see the kitty cat again but I told him that it was too dangerous for us to go back and we should leave the kitty alone and let him sleep.  I don't think that 3 or 4 is too young to talk about death, it's already come up a few times.  Though, of course with all things the way it is presented changes over time so they can understand and right now sleeping is a fine way to explain a cat on the side of the road.  I know it is a terrible thing to laugh about but thinking back to the conversation with AJ  that is what makes me giggle.



 - I am thankful for the innocent minds of my children -



 

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I need quite a few more years before I am ready to have that conversation!

    ReplyDelete